I ignored the push and backing tracks for most of the set and went ambient with a few reverbs and a lot of playing around with delays, the one on board the jp, the 303, the matrixbrute (which is genuine analog) and the tr-8. I like the spontaneity and a daily show allows me to go in any direction I choose.
Lisa directed the set using the push, the drum-brute and the tr8 (leaving the tr-8s out of the set). I worked the matrix brute and my two weirdo sound generators: the ms20 and the mother32.
I'm still not using vcvrack to its full potential live. It's great in the studio but it is still not intuitive enough live.
I've cut up a lot more battle vynyl and I'm remixing a lot of the backing tracks.
I felt I was depending too muich on the backing tracks so this session, I dropped into a locked groove at every opportunity and went improv, mostly minimalist. I've got vcvrack under more control than before as it plays well with the metaphysical function from the reaktor library. So with the drumbrute playing a lead roll and the tr-8 as wingman I got a different improv vibe than normal, something I'll be revisiting.
A bit rough but nothing out of the ordinary. I found a few more sequences on the matrix brute I like. I will do a theme week on the brute pretty soon but for now focusing on tweaking the past few areas has been as productive as any of the other themes, since I don't necessarily get to finish what I was doing in five days.
The drum brute is making an extended appearance and I'm making use of the four bar length as opposed to the 1 bar loops I tended to stick with. This allows small variations in snare fills etc.
I've added some more 'pages' or projects to the beatstep. It's a tedious process. Linking it up to vcvrack is no less so. But I'm sure over a few weeks it will become easier. A few weeks ago even setting up vcvrack with low latency seemed impossible.
One issue with the arturia project per vcvrack instrument is the need to copy the actual patterns across the projects, although I tend to keep them simple.
More tweaking of backing track cells in ableton. At present I need the max output to be around -5db to allow the TR-8 to be a bit more prominent in the sets. I miss my mixer.
I spent most of the time in front of the push slicing back and forth between tunes in a mashup style while Lisa kept things anchored on the drum machines.
First day of Phase 2
An hour of preparation before each set means I have many more options during the set itself. I've been tweaking the tune cells, creating locked grooves and ensuring the tunes are properly warped. I'm reconfiguring the arturia beatstep so I can use CC in vcvrack, but it will take a few days (20 minutes per session maximum is available to me).